Monday, December 7, 2009

Sojourners in a Temporary Home

"This is just a stop on the way to where I'm going. I'm not afraid because I know, this is my temporary home."
It sounds cheesy, and I rebel against the concept like nobody's business (because the phrase is so over used), but music/songs do have a tendency to inspire me. And I can pretty much predict that I will have a song to link to every entry I post. (but no one reads this right now, so whatever I want right? ;b)
Carrie Underwood wrote a song on her latest album, "Play On", called "Temporary Home". The song tells three stories: a little boy in foster care, a single mom living in a halfway house, and an old man on his death bed. All three share the same idea:

"This is my temporary home.
It's not where I belong.
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through.
This is just a stop on the way to where I'm goin'.
I'm not a afraid because I know, this is my temporary home."

In the Christian life, we really never arrive. Our lives can never really mirror a Disney fairy tale, when you reach a point, "achieve your dream" and after that you "live happily ever after." That is, until we reach Heaven. And I'm not saying we lead sad or even apathetic existences. It's just that our lives and dreams constantly shift when you actively pursue God. As I observe the lives of men and women of God that I deeply admire, whom have given me great models of lives lived in reckless abandon, they never stay the same and they never do the same thing.
They move to different countries, deny themselves of the the things they want, change the way they do ministry, and lead hopelessly passionate lives. To the world they are fools, but to the godly they are the wisest people I know.
And it never ends.
They just keep giving. They keep defying the skeptics. They push their limits and accomplish what they thought they couldn't, but do because they rely completely on God for strength. Life keeps going and at times you feel exhausted, but God is faithful and provides rest and peace and joy and the fortitude to keep moving forward toward our ultimate home.

Then we get to live happily ever after. Truly, endlessly happily ever after. We won't ever have to work at it. Effortless.

But this- our temporary home- it's a good place to be. There are joys to be had. Adventure to endeavor. Victories to enjoy. Moving along, pursuing a worthy God.

God is.... well, he's a lot of things, but my favorite is that he's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment